Friday, April 19, 2019

Cracking cookies

Michael here

Gabriella was dragged off into a quarantine cell. Coughing up blood is apparently one of the symptoms of the virus going around. So now they think Gabriella is infected. Which I guess is a reasonable conclusion to reach.

At least they let her keep her electronics. So she can still talk to me. She can also still post on this blog as you've seen. This situation is far from ideal though. Something must be done about it. Preferably before they figure out what Gabriella's sickness actually is. This is gonna be a tough cookie to crack.

Don't worry Gabriella, I'm working on it.

I asked the guy who actually spoke dutch if I could talk to whoever was in charge here. He and the other guy took me to a large tent in the middle of the camp. I'm gonna guess they're reserving the actual buildings for putting patients into quarantine.

The first thing I saw were piles of books on a carpet and a single desk further back. On the desk were some files, a lamp and a name plate that said: Agent Lilith. Behind it sat a woman, probably in her early forties if I had to guess. When we entered her tent the old man told her something in french. She responded. I have no idea what was said. I assume it was about me, which honestly is a bit rude.

The woman got up from behind her desk and walked towards me. Despite being in a tent surrounded by trees she was wearing a grey business suit and high heels. At least I can admire the dedication to fashion.

She picked a file off her desk and quietly looked through it. Then she looked up at me. “You're a runner from Antwerp correct?”

“Yes, ..Ma'am” Figured she'd be pissed if I wasn't polite. She seemed like the type that demands respect..

“You requested to see me. Why?” She snapped the file in her hands closed.

“Well, Ma'am. You probably know it's not a good idea for runners to stay in one place for long. So I was wondering..”

“No.”

“With all due respect Ma'am. I don't think I was going to ask what you think I was going to.”

There was a silence while she looked me over. “Fine, I'll bite. Go ahead.”

“Thank you. I realize you can't let us go until you've got the situation resolved here. So I want to do anything I can to help speed things up.”

There was another silence. I had trouble reading her face. I bet she's a great poker player. “Have you seen combat?”

“Plenty.”

She nodded. “This virus is the work of a dangerous man. An oathbreaker. Goes by the name of Doctor Slager. He and a couple of his assistants are hiding in this village. Go with agents Gévaudan and Alû there.” She pointed to the two guys behind me. “Track down their hiding place. Then report back. I assume you can do this?” She raised her eyebrow.

“Yes Ma'am.”

“Good.” She signaled for us to leave and walked back to her desk.

Doctor Slager, have I heard that name before? Nah, probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment